Sunday, March 4, 2012

Safe Sex

This post is both politically and personally motivated. Some may believe that this topic is inappropriate for me to comment on - but, I don't care. It's important that I talk about it (and that's what blogs are for right?).

I won't go on too much about how some politicians are overly concerned about the vagina of today's women or about this recent movement to force women to have an ultrasound before making the decision to have an abortion or not. Now, before I go much further I will preface this post by saying that I am a Christian woman. I do believe in the sanctity of life. I do not like abortions. And I do volunteer with a center that works to provide mothers-to-be with an alternative to abortion. But, I also believe that I have no right to force my beliefs onto others. I believe that people should consider their actions (and that includes the likely consequences) and be willing to live with the decision that they have made. With that being said...

Contraceptives are your friend. Use them. I don't care if Mr. So-and-So says it's "immoral" or if the church has decided it shouldn't be used. Get with the times, folks - young people are having sex at younger and younger ages every single year. Telling young people to wait until marriage is a great idea (I myself am on that path); but, abstinence-only education is a ridiculous notion. Sometimes telling a young person not to do something is just like telling them to do something...So? Arm them with the facts. I believe that schools (and parents) need to teach young people about sex: what it is; when it's appropriate; and, how to protect themselves (before, during, and after). Then young people need to use those contraceptives. Why do I say this? It's simple: we don't need children raising children. Education is empowering; but knowledge applied - that is real power.



No comments:

Post a Comment